Child Protection Policy
Child Protection Policy of Monagea National School
The Board of Management recognises that child protection and welfare considerations permeate all aspects of school life and must be reflected in all of the school’s policies, practices and activities. Accordingly, in accordance with the requirements of the Department of Education and Skills’ Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools, the Board of Management of Monagea National School has agreed the following child protection policy:
- The Board of Management has adopted and will implement fully and without modification the Department’s Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools as part of this overall child protection policy.
- The Designated Liaison Person (DLP) is Ciara Gallagher
- The Deputy Designated Liaison Person (Deputy DLP) is Avril Daly
- In its policies, practices and activities, Monagea National School will adhere to the following principles of best practice in child protection and welfare:
The school will
- recognise that the protection and welfare of children is of paramount importance, regardless of all other considerations;
- fully co-operate with the relevant statutory authorities in relation to child protection and welfare matters
- adopt safe practices to minimise the possibility of harm or accidents happening to children and protect workers from the necessity to take unnecessary risks that may leave themselves open to accusations of abuse or neglect;
- develop a practice of openness with parents and encourage parental involvement in the education of their children; and
- fully respect confidentiality requirements in dealing with child protection matters.
- The school will also adhere to the above principles in relation to any adult pupil with a special vulnerability.
- Code of Behaviour – see school policy
Anti-Bullying Policy – see policy
The school is obliged by leglislation under The Education Welfare Act 2000 to inform the Education Welfare Officer when a child is absent 20 days in a school year. The Principal will inform the NEWB and the parents. On their return to school after being absent, pupils will provide written information from parents detailing dates and reason for the absence.
Supervision of Pupils
Every effort is made to ensure that there is comprehensive supervision of pupils during the school day. A roster of staff on supervision is drawn up. One teacher and one other adult (usually secretary) are on duty for all break and lunch times.
Changing for matches and training;
Boys/girls change in toilets or in dressing rooms. A watchful eye is kept to ensure no horseplay, etc. Teams travelling to and from matches should car pool as far as possible if a bus is not in use. If a parent is unhappy with this arrangement they should notify school and make alternative arrangements for their child. Staff will not undertake any car/bus journey alone with a child except in case of emergency. The parent will be informed as soon as possible.
Children will be transported by bus. Children change in communal dressing rooms unless a parent requests a child use an individual changing room. Two female teachers will monitor the girls changing room. Two males will monitor the boys changing rooms. The children who opt out of swimming will remain in school in different classrooms. These will be given work to be completed under the supervision of the teacher.
Use of Technology;
Procedures with regard to the use of technology are contained in The School’s Acceptable Usage Policy.
See procedures in regard to same in Code of Behaviour.
One to One Teaching;
Parents/Guardians will be made aware when one to one teaching is deemed to be in the best interest of the pupil. Written consent will be required for all one to one teaching. The blinds to learning support room/resource room are kept open at all times. A glass panel on door ensures that there is a clear view into room.
If it is necessary for class teacher to meet alone with pupil, this meeting should not take place in an isolated environment and the classroom door should be left open.
- A change of clothes will be kept in the school.
- In the first instance a change of clothes will be offered to the child to clean and change him/her.
- If for any reason the child is unable to clean and change him/herself the parents will be notified.
- If the parents are unable to come to the school, two members of staff familiar to the child will attend to him/her.
- A record of the incident will be kept.
Written permission for all trips must be obtained from the parents/guardians in advance of trip.
- Any incident that occurs on the trip will be reported to the parents.
Guidelines for visiting coaches/instructors;
- Class teacher must be present at all times.
- Teacher will take responsibility for discipline issues.
- Use of inappropriate language/behaviour is not acceptable in the school.
- Children not taking part~see guidelines for swimming.
- Children using changing rooms will be monitiored by a member of staff only.
- Coaches/instructors should have a recognised qualification in the activity they are to deliver.
- Must provide a Garda vetting clearance certificate.
Use of Images of Children;
- The school undertakes to seek parents’ permission to use photographs of children publically.
- Photographs of the children may be on display in the church for 1st Holy Communion/Confirmation, but no names are put on the photographs.
The Board has ensured that the necessary policies, protocols or practices as appropriate are in place in respect of each of the above listed items.
- This policy has been made available to school personnel and the Parents’ Association and is readily accessible to parents on request. A copy of this policy will be made available to the Department and the patron if requested.
- This policy will be reviewed by the Board of Management once in every school year.
This policy was adopted by the Board of Management on _________________
Signed: _________________________ Signed: __________________________
Chairperson of Board of Management Principal
Date: __________________________ Date: __________________________
Date of next review: ________________